Friday, October 16, 2009

Happy Halloween Pin Cushion Finally Finished!

Here is the finished project:



Happy Halloween
by La-D-Da
2009 JCS Halloween Issue
32ct Copper Penny Permin Linen
WDW: Onyx & Terra Cotta
Trimmed with Black Rick Rack
Filled with crushed glass

This was the first time I've sewn rick rack into a seam instead of on top of a piece. Actually, the last time I touched rick rack was on an apron I did in Home Ec. in Grade 9! I found a post on how to do it online...don't you just love Google! I thank my lucky stars for it every time I go to finish an ornament. I also thank all of you out there who take the time to post tutorials with my whole heart. :-D

I first backed the linen with muslin before sewing it together because of the crushed glass I used to fill it. I found that great stuff at my local quilting shop. I think it turned out pretty cute! My finishing is getting better, and I'm trying different ways of finishing instead of a pillow ornament all the time.

I'm glad this was a tiny piece as the Permin was HORRIBLE to stitch on! The tension was all loosey, goosey. Even in a hoop! It's too bad because the colour is fabulous! I have a 13 x 17 piece left over if anyone wants to try it. Leave a comment in this post and I'll draw a name and mail it to the lucky "winner"! Good luck...in more ways than one!

Happy Stitching and Good Luck!

6 comments:

Daffycat said...

Oh, beautiful finish! I really like the rick rack edge!

Sandra :) said...

Your pincushion is faaabulous! I don't think I've ever done rick rack in a seam before - I'll have to try it - yours looks great!

Don't enter me in the contest tho please - the Permin sounds crappy to work with!! I did some XS'ing in the car on the way down on our trip - I got two sets (blue variegated and red variegated) done of parts 1 & 2 of the dog SAL -- I can't print out part 3 until I get home, LOL.

Unknown said...

I love your finish! Very cute edging.

I hate Permin, too. I have a glut of it (one of the perils of ordering online), and I can't wait until it's used up. It's way too stiff and scratchy for my taste, and such a loose weave. So I'll pass on the drawing as well.

Paula said...

I think your pin cushion looks great! I saw the design in Just Cross Stitch Mag. Would love to win your fabric.
Paula
pmcfee@roadrunner.com

Cathy said...

I love your pincushion and your stitching is beautiful! I'm very intriqued by the crushed glass filling. I've never heard of that before. Can you please tell me more?

Cathy ♥

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

That is such a cool Halloween pincushion! And I agree...love to google! I recently bought crushed walnut shells for pincushions but had never heard of crushed glass. Will have to see if I can find it.