Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Gift for my Aunt

I've been close with my Aunt Jean for as long as I can remember.  When I was a kid I loved going to her house for sleepovers with my cousins and to just spend time with her.  She is the person who introduced me to cross stitch at 14 or 15 with a huge carousel horse pattern with blended threads and a million colours.  Needless to say, I never finished that project but my love of cross stitch has remained.

My aunt is always doing nice things for me, we talk on the phone a lot and email each other frequently too.  I decided I really wanted to make something for her to display this winter.  (I'm also sending her a cookbook we talked about last week and an iTunes card.)


Frosty Flakes by Little House Needleworks
Fabric:  30 ct.  Straw Linen by WDW
Fibre's:  as charted
Embellishments:  #02014 Mill Hill beads
Finished as an ornament


A view of the twisted cord I used for finishing.  (I used thick chipboard coasters from Michael's as my finishing form this time.)


View of the back.  I started using homemade iron on tags instead of stitching on the year and my initials on my projects.  Way faster and convenient too!


It's a dreary, rainy day here today.  Just how I like my winter days!  I'm making a pot of Loaded Baked Potato Soup.  Make this soup!!!!  It is so delicious.  One piece of advice, use really good quality bacon.  I didn't once and it was not a good result. 

Have a great day. 

11 comments:

Lesleyanne said...

A gorgeous finish. I'm sure your aunt will be thrilled.

lynda said...

You aunt will love this...so cute! And thanks for the idea of using coasters for finishing...very clever!

Sue said...

What a lovely gift. Thank you for sharing your finish. It's great.

Anonymous said...

A very sweet gift and nicely done. The iron-on tag is very clever too.

Deanne J said...

Beautiful gift, I'm sure your aunt will love it.

Karen said...

How cute! Love the idea of using the coasters...think I will be stealing this one!

your soup sounds yummy... off to get the recipe!

Sandra :) said...

Frosty is adorable - you're on a roll!! The soup looks good too - any recipe that contains a pound of bacon HAS to be good, lol!

Carol said...

Aww...he is so cute! I've always meant to stitch this one myself. It's one of my favorite LHN ornaments--I'm sure your aunt will treasure it :)

Melanie said...

Super cute!!!!!! I'm sure she will love it. :)

Coco Cross Stitcher said...

just been having a little look around your blog and you have some lovely things. This is a lovely ornament. i have become your newest follower and look forward to seeing more
catherine

temari by the sea said...

a wonderfully made ornament!