Thursday, January 5, 2012

Candy Cane Ornament

Here is the ornament I made for my mom this Christmas.  She just loved it.


Fabric: 32 ct. Platinum Belfast linen
Fibres: as charted
Embellishments:  white Mill Hill Beads on berries, Kreniek metallic thread around berries for definition
Finished as an ornament

Candy Cane by Madame la Fee
click here for the FREE chart

I have to say I'm so pleased with how this turned out.  I used chipboard pieces for the finishing form and it worked perfectly.  It's really sturdy and thin too.  I went to my local scrapbook store, bought the chipboard and used their dies to cut out the ovals.  (The chipboard, which is like a thin, sturdy cardboard, came in 8x10 sheets and cost just over a dollar per sheet.)

I whip stitched all around the design to get it nice and tight on the form, did the same to another oval with coordinating fabric, glued them together and finished it with silver rick rack.  Does anyone know if this method would work for square ornaments too?  I have a hard time getting them tight on the form with nice, square corners.

Take care!

7 comments:

Sweet Sue said...

Nice to see you posting, sweet finish:) HNY!

Lesleyanne said...

A lovely finish.

Carol said...

I can see why your mom loved it--you did a wonderful job on it :)

Sandra :) said...

It's beautiful!

Don't laugh - I was watching tv and reading blog posts from my blog reader - I didn't realize the post I was reading was from your blog and when I saw the photo, my first thought was ... OOoOOO I know who I should send that to - she would LOVE it! Then I kept reading and realized that it was yours, LOL!

Blu said...

Lovely finish!
Thanks for the tip on where to get chipboard. The local Michaels doesn't have it and I had no idea where else to try.

Sally said...

That is a beautiful ornament. Thanks for the tips. I wonder where I can get the things over here in the UK. I'll have a look around :)

Julianne said...

Really pretty!

I started stitching that one. It has so many colors in it.